American sprinter Melissa Jefferson pulled off a major upset by defeating two-time Olympic champion Elaine Thompson-Herah in the women’s 200-meter Olympic Development race at Friday’s (14 April) Tom Jones Memorial Invitational meet in Gainesville, Florida.
Thompson-Herah had taken the lead early on, but Jefferson overtook her with 30 meters remaining to win with a time of 23.02 seconds.
Thompson-Herah finished second with a time of 23.23 seconds, while Felicia Brown Edwards claimed third place in 23.42 seconds. The meet featured strong competition from around the world, including Maia McCoy and Edidiong Odiong, who finished fourth and fifth, respectively, with times of 23.53 and 23.54.
The James G. Pressly Stadium was the site of the annual Tom Jones Memorial Invitational meet, which attracted a large crowd of fans eager to see top-level competition in a variety of track and field events.
Tom Jones Memorial Invitational women’s 200m results.
- Melissa Jefferson, NIKE, 23.02, +1.8 m/s, 1
- Elaine Thompson Herah, Puma, 23.23, +1.8 m/s, 1
- Felicia Brown Edwards, Garden State TC, 23.42, +1.8 m/s, 1
- Maia McCoy, Unattached, 23.53, +1.8 m/s, 1
- Edidiong Odiong, Unattached, 23.54, +1.8 m/s, 1
- Cassie-Ann Pemberton, Team England, 23.63, +2.7 m/s, 2
- Junelle Bromfield, Adidas, 23.72, +1.8 m/s, 1
- Taylor Manson, Unattached, 23.75, +2.7 m/s, 2
- Gabrielle Farquharson, Garden State TC, 24.33, +2.7 m/s, 2
- Diani Walker, Team England, 24.47, +2.7 m/s, 2
- Joyce Kalombo, Team England, 25.78, +2.7 m/s, 2