Yohan Blake And Julian Forte
Yohan Blake And Julian Forte

KINGSTON — Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce survived a false-start scare to advance to the final of the women’s 100m, but Yohan Blake didn’t have the same luck after testing the starter’s patience twice in the same race on Day 2 at the Jamaica National Championships on Friday evening.

Fraser-Pryce, a three-time World champion over 100m and twice Olympic champion over that same distance, seemed to have moved too early while competing in the second semi-final heat, but was allowed to remain in the race after the starter decided to show the field a “green card.”

That decision seemed to have triggered chaos, which you can closely follow below.

Shelly Fraser Pryce
Shelly Fraser Pryce at the 2018 Jamaica National Championships

The 31-year-old then went on to win the heat in 11.15 seconds, which was the fastest time of the three semis.

Following her home was Jonielle Smith of Auburn in 11.18, while Jura Levy also advanced to the final on time, after she clocked 11.22 for third place.

Meanwhile, Rio 2016 Olympic 100m and 200m sprint double champion Elaine Thompson finished second in semi-final one in 11.55, but did so with a little fuss, running in a -1.1 m/s headwind.

Elaine Thompson
Elaine Thompson (R) eased home in the women’s 100m

The MVP star took the lead early, but eased down after 60m to finish behind Natasha Morrison, who raced home strongly to clock 11.52.

Shericka Jackson, a specialized 200/400 runner, stopped the clock at 11.25 seconds to take the third semis with a strong finish.

Teenage talent Briana Wiliams was second in 11.29.


In a heat that was forced to resume four separate times, Blake and Oshane Bailey were both disqualified, but ran under protest.

Blake got a break after jumping the gun on the first occasion, but tested his luck again and was thrown out.

He, however, protested the decision, but the race had to be called back for a fourth time after Bailey jumped the gun and opted against leaving the track as well.

Bailey was eventually ushered away by his representative, which triggered a walkout from Commonwealth Games champion Kemar Bailey-Cole, who voluntarily gave up his blocks.

In the end, Blake went on to win the race in 10.19 seconds, but was later disqualified.

Julian Forte took second in 10.33 seconds with Senoj jay Givans getting third in 10.40.

There was no problem in sending the second semi-final heat underway, as Tyquendo Tracey of MVP ran 10.22 secs for first place ahead of his clubmate Nesta Carter, who ran 10.30. Kenroy Anderson finished third in 10.34.


Michael Bentley secured passage into the final of the Under-20 boys 100m after posting the fastest time in the semi-finals on Day 2 at the Jamaica National Championships on Friday.

The former St. Jago sprinter who now trains at UTECH, posted 10.50 seconds to win the first semi-final, beating Calabar’s Tyreke Wilson, who followed home closely in 10.54 in the runner-up spot.

Meanwhile, Michael Stephens, Jhevaughn Matherson and Romell Glave all ran together in the second semi-final to advance to the finale.

Stephens clocked 10.51 secs to win the heat, just ahead of Matherson and Glave who were both gifted the same time of 10.57.

Also booking places into tonight’s final on time were Colin Anderson (10.69) of Calabar and Xavier Nairne (10.71) of Wolmers.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here