KINGSTON, Jamaica – Former world 100-metre record holder Asafa Powell has withdrawn from the 2014 JAAA Supreme Ventures National Senior Championships.
Powell, who was banned for 18 months after a positive test at last year’s trials, was given a “stay of the execution” by the Court of Arbitration for Sport to compete pending his hearing on July 7-8.
Powell was down to contest the quarterfinal round of the men’s 100m Thursday afternoon.
However, his publicist Tara Playfair–Scott, confirmed that the sprinter will not run.
Playfield-Soctt said Powell was not well.
“He has a stomach flu,” Playfair–Scott said.
Powell is schedule to race at the Paris Diamond Meeting on July 5, but according to Playfair–Scott, that is still possible.
“We are hoping he will be okay for that meet,” Playfair-Scott said of Powell, who held the 100m world record between June 2005 and May 2008, with times of 9.77 and 9.74 seconds respectively.